For all of the baking enthusiasts, tomorrow is National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day! To celebrate National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day, we share this classic favourite “Pineapple upside down cake”. This cake is moist, tangy and easy to make. It features a sweet caramel topping and the tropical flavours of pineapple.
It is a great dessert that can be made in advance and can be served with ice cream, custard or a dollop of whipped cream.
- 425gr/ 1 tin pineapple rings in syrup
- 150g caster sugar
- 115g unsalted butter
- 180g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Glace cherries
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- Unsalted butter for greasing
- 5 tbs pineapple syrup juice
- 200g caster sugar
- 15 min
- 50-60 min
1. To begin place 200g of caster sugar to a small milk pan, melt the sugar and cook until it dissolves. If it is too dry, add a bit of water and mix well.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/170C Fan/Gas 4. Butter the sides of our Durane Round Flan Tray 2.1L.
3. Add the caramel syrup to the tray and start placing the pineapple rings into the tray, starting from the centre to the sides.
4. Place the glace cherries in the centre of the pineapple rings and as desired into empty spaces. Once this is completed set the pain aside.
5. To prepare the vanilla cake, beat the butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl until creamy and well-combined. 6. Start adding the eggs gradually, one by one and stir in the vanilla extract.
7. In a separate bowl, whisk together the previously sifted flour and baking powder.
8. Alternate adding the wet and dry ingredients, starting and ending with flour and mixing until just combined after each addition.
9. At this point you should add the pineapple juice. If the batter is too thick, add a bit more and mix well.
10. Pour the batter evenly over the prepared cake tray.
11. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until risen and golden brown in colour. Cover it with foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
12. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes and then carefully flip the cake onto a serving plate.
This cake is best served slightly warm or at room temperature, with vanilla ice cream, lightly whipped cream or custard.