This healthy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is made from scratch with the most savoury, hearty and simple ingredients! Carrots, celery, tender chicken, egg noodles, fragrant fresh herbs and rich chicken broth are tasty and add so much flavour to this easy noodle soup.
Homemade chicken noodle soup with egg noodles is incredibly easy to make and is a super flavourful soup loaded with delicious chicken, veggies, herbs and parmesan. The incredible flavours are even better by using homemade chicken broth which is always better than store-bought broth and soups. This easy chicken noodle soup recipe is versatile and, in a pinch, you can use a good quality storebought, low-sodium broth.
One-pot chicken soup with pasta noodles is any day great for dinners at home, light meals with salads, savoury bread or even quick lunches. The leftovers of this soup are incredible with flavour the next day and so easy to reheat.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 large carrots (diced)
- 2 sticks of celery (chopped)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 cups chicken broth or stock
- 450g skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme and rosemary
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 30g egg noodles
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup parsley (chopped)
- Lemon juice as needed for serving (optional)
- 10 min
- 30 min
1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add minced garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add chopped onion and cook for 1 minute (do not brown it).
4. Add diced carrots and chopped celery and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the chicken stock cube, season with salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add chicken bone broth or stock, stir and bring it to a boil.
7. Place chicken breasts, fresh thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Remove the chicken and allow it to rest for a few minutes. Add the noodles/pasta into the soup and cook al dente.
9. While the noodles are cooking, shred the cooked chicken using forks or hand and put it back in the pot.
10. Stir in the grated parmesan and chopped parsley. Check for salt and add if needed.
11. Remove the soup from heat, pour into serving bowls, squeeze fresh lemon juice (optional) and serve immediately!
Add the uncooked noodles seven to eight minutes before the soup finishes cooking to avoid overcooked and mushy noodles. The remaining heat from the chicken soup will continue to cook the pasta or noodles so keep that in mind.
You will want to make sure to add the fresh herbs for the extra lovely flavours.