Get yourself a mouth-watering stack toward heaven because yesterday was National Pancake Day! We have some fun facts and a delicious buttermilk pancake recipe just for you.
Full ranking of the most popular types of pancakes:
#1: Buttermilk (33%)
#2: Blueberry (19%)
#3: Chocolate chip (18%)
#4: Original/plain (15%)
#5: Banana (8%)
#6: Cinnamon (5%)
#7: Wheat (2%)
#8: Whole oat (1%)
Full ranking of the most popular pancake toppings:
#1: Maple syrup (62%)
#2: Butter (10%)
#3: Fresh fruit (8%)
#4: Fruit sauce (4%)
#5: Peanut butter (4%)
#6: Nutella (4%)
#7: Chocolate syrup (3%)
#8: Honey (2%)
#9: Jelly/jam (2%)
#10: Apple butter (2%)
Buttermilk is a key ingredient in this recipe for light fluffy pancakes. We like to serve these warm with a little butter and fresh strawberries but you could choose lemon and sugar or simply drizzle them with maple syrup.
- 75g butter (melted)
- 125g self-raising white flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 250ml buttermilk
- butter (for cooking)
- 5 min
- 15 min
1. Melt the butter.
2. Put the flour, icing sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl or jug and stir to combine.
3. Break the eggs into another bowl, add the buttermilk and beat together.
4. Put a little butter into Nea Marbell Impact Crepe Pan over medium heat. As the butter melts, roll the pan around so that the butter covers the surface.
5. Pour half the egg mixture into the prepared flour and beat until smooth.
6. Beat in the remaining mixture.
7. Stir in the melted butter.
8. Pour or scoop small mounds of the pancake mixture into the hot pan.
9. Cook the pancakes, loosening the edges, until the base is golden.
10. Turn the pancakes over and cook the other side.
11. Transfer the pancakes to a plate.
12. Repeat until the batter is used.
We like to serve these warm with a little butter and fresh strawberries but you could choose lemon and sugar or simply drizzle them with maple syrup.