Braised Red Cabbage
Sweet & sour, this spiced cabbage adds a spot of colour to the table and it’s a perfect match with rich roasts and cheese dishes. This dish works really well cold too, on top of roast leftovers, with roast beef slices or added to turkey for stuffing sandwich.
- 1 red cabbage, outer leaves removed
- 250g (½lb) red onions, peeled and halved
- 250g (½lb) apples, cored, peeled and cubed
- 100g (½ cup) sultanas
- 60ml (¼ cup) port
- 28g (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) red wine vinegar
- 1g (¼ tsp) ground cloves
- 1g (¼ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1g (¼ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 14g (1 tbsp) butter [optional]
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 90 min
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160 °C fan / 355°F / gas mark 4.
- Cut the cabbage into wedges and then cut out the stalk.
- Using the slicer attachment (thick side up) of the K-Mojo DigiMaster, feed the cabbage and onions into the feeder tube until everything is sliced.
- Tip the cabbage and onions into a large ovenproof casserole, then add the apples, sultanas, port, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir until well mixed.
- Place the lid on the casserole and transfer to the oven to cook for 1½ hours.
- Stir the cabbage every 20-30 minutes during this period. If you don’t like your cabbage al dente, cook for longer until desired texture is achieved.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the butter, if using, before serving to give a glossy finish.
- Season to taste and serve immediately with your favourite main course.
TIP: This dish is ideal for making ahead and stores well in the fridge for up to 4 days. This recipe freezes well. To reheat and warm through on the stove.
SQ Professional teamed-up with award winner food blog Greedy Gourmet to create this awesome recipe.