Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Carrot Cake is one of those classic recipes that works great for any celebration.
The best part of Carrot Cake is the unique sweet-and-tangy cream cheese frosting. The nice orange colour offset by creamy frosting makes Carrot Cake the star of any dessert tray.
Here’s our little twist on the original recipe: make delicious cupcakes instead.
- 200g (1⅘ cups) carrots
- 250ml (1 cup) sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 225g (1¼ cups) brown sugar
- 300g (1¾ cups + 2 tbsp) self-raising flour
- 10g (2 tsp) baking powder
- 3g (1 tsp) ground mixed spice
- 3g (1 tsp) ground ginger
- 75g (⅘ cups) walnuts, shelled and chopped
- 16 walnut halves, to decorate
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 140g (9 1/2 tbsp) butter
- 225g (1 2/3 cup) icing sugar, sieved
- 210g (1 cup) cream cheese
- 7.5ml (1 1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / fan 150°C / 340°F / gas mark 3.
- Grease a muffin/cupcake tin or line the tin with cupcake cases. You will need 2 tins.
- Peel, then top and tail, the carrots.
- Using the K-Mojo DigiMaster’s grater attachment, grate all the carrots.
- Place the carrots, along with all the ingredients, in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly. Alternatively, you can use a stand mixer to do the job.
- Divide the batter evenly between all the cupcake cases, then place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Do the toothpick test by sticking it in the middle of a cupcake. If it comes out clean, it’s ready!
- Remove the tins from the oven and transfer the cupcakes onto a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- Leave the butter to warm to room temperature and cut into cubes.
Place the butter in a bowl and beat with a stand or hand mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, which should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat the sugar into the butter for 3-5 minutes until well mixed.
- Don’t forget to scrape the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula to ensure that all ingredients are blended well together.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until fluffy.
- Pipe the icing on cooled down cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with walnut halves.
SQ Professional teamed-up with award winner food blog Greedy Gourmet to create this awesome recipe.