This delicious vegan creamy sauce is super satisfying without being too heavy or too rich. It is packed with protein and is excellent when you just want some comfort food.
Cashews are very popular amongst vegans and those on a plant-base diet all over the world.
This Vegan month we would like to share this easy to make recipe, full of nutrients and goodness!
- 1 cup of whole cashews
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped in quarters
- 1 large onion, chopped in quarters
- 1 ½ tbsp. ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbs. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 15 min
- 30 min
1. Leave the cashews to soak in water for at least 2 hours and reserve the water.
2. Drain the cashews and add them to the blender with the onion, tomatoes and blend for a couple of minutes, until it reaches a smooth consistency.
3. If the blender is struggling add a splash of the reserved cashew water and continue blending.
4. Add a bit of olive oil or coconut oil to a saucepan and add the ginger and garlic paste for couple of minutes. Do not let it brown.
5. Incorporate the blend to the paste, mix and add all the spices.
6. Allow it cook for around 15 minutes.
7. Let it cool and reserve.
This sauce can freeze for up to one month in zip lock bags, or canned in a sealed container in the fridge where it will last up to 5 days.
To defrost it, just place it into a pan with some oil and it will defrost completely over the heat. Add a splash of water if needed.
This sauce can be used with pasta, tofu, pulses and your favorites veggies.
This recipe is without artificial red coloring but if you want it with a more intense red color add red food coloring.