Chinese New Year “The year of the tiger” is here. What better way to celebrate, than preparing a healthy, delicious and easy to make recipe full of flavours and simple ingredients.
This classic dish can also be made as a vegetarian option by substituting the chicken with vegetables of your choice.
- 1 cup long rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 500g/2 chicken breast
- 100g frozen peas (optional)
- 2 tbs garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbs. fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 3 small red chilies, de-seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- 4 fried eggs (optional)
- 20 min
- 30 min
1. Prepare the cup of rice as normal with 2 cups of water and salt.
2. Spread the rice on a big plate and leave it cool.
3. Beat the eggs with salt and sesame oil. Set aside.
4. Cut the chicken into 1 cm dice and season with salt.
5. Heat a wok or a large frying pan over a high heat and add the oil. When is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic, onion and ½ teaspoon of pepper and stir fry for 2 minutes. Then add the chicken and stir fry for another 3 minutes or until done.
6. Add the fish sauce, spring onions, peas (optional), coriander and chilies and stir fry for 2 minutes.
7. Finally, add rice, the egg mixture, and continue to stir-fry for another minute or two and serve.
Serve with lime wedges and the fried eggs on top (optional).